Robert Klie, PhD
Building & Room:
845 West Taylor St.
Office Phone Voice:
Dr. Robert F Klie, Assistant Professor of Physics, specialized in Experimental Condensed Matter Physics. Dr. Klie began his undergraduate studies in Physics at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität in Bonn, Germany and graduated in 1998 from Kingston University, London, UK with a B.Sc in Physics. After receiving his Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Illinois in 2002, Dr. Klie joined the Materials Science Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) as a Goldhaber Fellow. Following the completion of this fellowship in 2005, Dr. Klie accepted a position as an Assistant Scientist at BNL’s Center for Functional Nanomaterials. In his research, Dr. Klie pursues the development and utilization of atomic-resolution transmission electron microscopy of nano-scale materials systems. He utilizes a variety of analytical techniques, including Z-contrast imaging and electron energy-loss spectroscopy to study the effects of defect and interfaces in superconducting oxides or borides, semiconducting oxide hetero-structures, and heterogeneous catalyst systems. His recent publications include “Direct Imaging of Cooperative Doping Mechanisms at Grain Boundaries in Ca-doped YBa2Cu3O7-δ,” (Nature, 435, 2005) and “Electron energy-loss spectroscopy study of electron-doping in MgB2,” (Phys. Rev. B., 73(1), 2006).
- “Polaron melting and ordering as key mechanisms for colossal resistance effects in manganites,” C. Jooss, L. Wu, T. Beetz, R. F. Klie, M. Beleggia, M. Schofield, S. Schramm, J. Hoffmann, and Y. Zhu, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sciences, 104(34), 13567-13602 (2007)
- “Direct measurement of the low temperature spin-state transition in LaCoO3,” R.F. Klie, J. C. Zheng, Y. Zhu, M. Varela, J. Wu, C. Leighton, Phys. Rev. Lett., 99, 047203 (2007)
- “Direct Imaging of Cooperative Doping Mechanisms at Grain Boundaries in Ca-doped YBa2Cu3O7-δ,” R.F. Klie, J. P. Buban, M. Varela, A. Franceschetti, C. Jooss, Y. Zhu, S. T. Pantelides, S. J. Pennycook, Nature, 435, 475-478 (2005)
- “Inversion of two-band superconductivity at the critical electron doping of (Mg,Al)B2,” L.D. Cooley, A.J. Zambano, A.R. Moodenbaugh, R.F. Klie, Z.C. Zhen, Y. Zhu, Phys. Rev. Let., 95(26), 267002 (2005)
- “Atomic structure of epitaxial SrTiO3-GaAs (001) heterojunctions,” R.F. Klie, Y. Zhu, E.I. Altman, Y. Liang, Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 143106 (2005)
BSc, Physics (1998), Kingston University
PhD, Physics (2002), University of Illinois at Chicago