Colloquium: Prof. Ken Hatakeyama, Baylor University  Add To Calendar

  • Date(s): Wednesday, 9/27 3:00 PM to Wednesday, 9/27 4:00 PM
  • Speaker: Prof. Ken Hatakeyama
  • Host: Richard Cavanaugh
Title: Going Beyond the Higgs Boson Discovery at the Large Hadron Collider

Abstract: The Higgs boson discovery by the CMS and ATLAS experiments at CERN was a major milestone for particle physics and marked another success of the standard model, our current best theory for elementary particles. However, the standard model explains only 5% of the mass of the universe and cannot account for the remaining 95% which are thought to be made of dark matter and mysterious dark energy. And, the mass of the Higgs boson is also predicted to be unstable within the standard model. Supersymmetry is an attractive extension of the standard model that can explain these puzzles. I will discuss efforts in my group to search for signs of Supersymmetry using the data collected with the CMS detector at the Large Hadron Collider.

Colloq flyer 9-27 Hatakeyama